A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is
someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.”


Thursday, August 2, 2012

Taking Advantage

I (and those I love) am often asked if I like living in Germany. So, in effort to put an end to all of the confusion I thought I would give a definitive answer...YES and NO :)
YES, because...

I love the traveling, the food, and the once in a lifetime experiences.  I never in my life thought that I would get to spend so much time getting to know foreign cultures and customs in such an in depth way.  And getting to visit Paris and Rome were once just far away dreams!  Taking in all that Europe has to offer is definitely a once in a lifetime experience and something I feel truly blessed to experience.

I have a new appreciation for history.  I will be the first to tell you that history never way my favorite subject (to be honest not even in the top 10), However, it is much more fun when you can see and feel it as opposed to reading it in a book.  I have learned and grown exponentially and have so many experiences that have made me much more passionate about both teaching and learning. 

Getting to experience new things every weekend makes life much more fun and entertaining.  I am afraid that now that we have been bitten by the traveling bug how restless we are going to get when we settle back into the States.

NO, because....

I miss the comforts of home.  You don't realize how much you enjoy your routines until they are taken away.  Suddenly the small things become so much more meaningful.  There are days when I would give anything to jump in the car and drive to sonic for a route 44 Cherry Limeade with ice or spend a lazy Sunday perusing the isles of the nearest Target.

I miss country music.  Nate is probably extremely happy that Germans don't have the same appreciation for country music as I do.    Since we can't login to the majority of online radio stations due to the foreign IEP address it is hard to stay up on the newest and latest of my favorite music. 

But most of all I miss being with family.  Although I have been much more lucky than most and have not had to go more than 8 months without getting a hug from my mommy (pretty amazing if you consider the distance and time we have been apart), it is still hard to be SOO far away; especially now that we have a little one.

So, if I had the choice between staying here or coming home tomorrow, undoubtedly I would choose coming home.  Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the experience and will take full advantage of it while I am here, but nothing beats being home :)

1 comment:

Mom Bird said...

So when people ask me if you "like" being in Germany, I tell them that there are good and bad points, but that you are taking advantage of the opportunity to be there. You will definitely be well travelled! ...yes it is the little things you miss! Love you! Mom