A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is
someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.”


Thursday, August 16, 2012

Monkey Encounter

A few weeks ago we got the opportunity to cross off yet another item on our bucket list (ok...so we don't really have a bucket list, but if we did I would have definitely written this one on there just so that I could cross it off).

Spend the Day in France....check
Visit a Wildlife Park.......... check
Hand Feed Monkeys...........check

Yes, you read that right.  We traveled about two hours South to France to spend the day hand feeding monkey's.  I know, I know... must be rough :)

I must admit that at first I was not all too excited.  After all spending 2 hours in a car with an infant just to visit a monkey park didn't really sound like my idea of a good time.... But I have to admit that in the end I was very glad that my husband had already committed to the trip before getting my approval, because we had a GREAT time. 

Now, when I thought that we were going to go feed monkey's I pictured something similar to Sea World's Dolphin encounter.... you pay a ridiculous amount of money to get in line with hundreds of other people for a ten second encounter as they grab their food and go.  What we encountered however was something much different.

  • The "Monkey Mountain" wildlife park is home to approximately 300 Barbary Macaques from all around the world. New visitors here are always surprised at how close they can get to the animals, who are always keen to come right up to you and gingerly accept the popcorn offered to them! Here, the monkey is definitely king. They live free in a 24-hectare pine forest, offering conditions very close to those experienced in the wild."

We had a great time spending a little time with the crazy creatures, and I was definitely not the only one with a baby monkey in tow :)




What's next you are asking... This weekend we are entering festival season in style!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you guys went:) We had a blast! I can't wait for Saturday!!
Melanie

Anonymous said...

How fun!! I never would have imagined that they would "gingerly" take offered food; I would have thought grab & run! I appreciate the time you take to keep all of us informed in such an entertaining way!
Love to all!! Jan