A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is
someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.”


Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Snow over it

Lets just say that southern NM is not know for its snow days!  To put it in perspective I remember building snowmen on the back steps just big enough to fit into our Barbie Doll clothes!  And let me tell you I was always extremely excited about the 2 inch balls dressed in pink jackets and big floppy beach hats.  I think it is because of its rarity growing up that I have always been a sucker for snow, however, living in Germany has changed my views on the white fluffy stuff.... just a little bit. 

For at least the past 7 days straight I have seen flurries falling from the sky and am beginning to wonder if it is ever going to end.  So as I sit here with a fire roaring and flakes falling out the window I think that it is only appropriate that I let you in on the pros and cons of living in a winter wonderland....( for those of you, who like me, grew up getting snow days when less than an inch covered the ground!)

So here it goes...the Pro's
 
1) The look.... nothing matches the beauty of white snow covering the ground

Yep that about does it at this point....

And the Con's

1) Scraping snow off your car EVERY TIME you want to go somewhere...and those of you who know me can imagine just how much i LOVE the sound of the scratching ice
2) Getting bundled up in every piece of clothing you own just to take the dogs for a walk...and hoping you don't fall more than once while anyone is looking
3) Praying that you make it up the hill in your car without slipping and sliding into anything, it is safe to say that I am not well practiced on driving in winter conditions
4) Shoveling the sidewalk (it is a law that your sidewalks have to be shoveled and salted before 8 in the morning)...again with the scraping noise....
5) Moping the floors daily because of the unnecessary amounts of water and mud that get tracked onto your all tile floors.
6) Washing your car in the freezing temps...yes you read that right.  Germans use a RIDICULOUS amount of salt on the roads when it snows and if you don't rinse your car off at least once a week you will be sorry when the ice melts and you see the rust beginning to form underneath.  Don't worry....I take my car through the drive through :P
 7) Trying to find the perfect balance of layers so that little Landon stays warm but still has the ability to move his arms
Now it might look as though I am being a Debbie Downer, which may be so, but there is still something about a good old fashioned snow day that reminds me of just how magical this world of ours is....but for now lets just say that I am so over all over this snow!  I am sure I will be extremely excited about NEXT years first flurries.

But don't worry I did get some fun pictures out of the deal...and I know you are now thinking that that should go under the pro category, but lets face it the only reason they are fun is because of the beauty of the white snow that covers the road :)

2 comments:

Mom Bird said...

Hopefully your snow will end soon! You really did have a mild winter last year...looks like you are paying for it now! The roads are so narrow there, can they even get a vehicle through to clean the snow off the roads?

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest little snow bird I ever did see!!! Enjoy Landon and the snow!!

Love and Prayers
Sherri