A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is
someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.”


Thursday, December 20, 2012

Up North!

Although our recent trip home has made me realize even more how much I miss living close to family there is one thing that I am going to really miss when we leave Germany.... No it is not the schnitzel and beer (although they have a new place in my heart and on my dinner menu), or the man-capri's and stockings..... it is none other than the amazing CHRISTMAS MARKETS! 

Even though we got a late start this year (since I was in the States for the start of the season) we have already been to 3 Christmas markets (not to mention the 6 Nate visited in Berlin without me), and have at least two more on the docket for the week ahead!  I am not sure if it is the yummy food, the steaming hot gluhwein, the twinkling lights, or the rows and rows of trinkets for sale that make my Christmas heart so happy, but something about the combination evokes a special Christmas spirit that will be hard to duplicate when we return to the states! 


This year we decided to take a little trip outside of the Traditional German Christmas market for yet another once in a lifetime experience.  Since we arrived in Germany we had heard about a Christmas market in the Netherlands that is inside of a cave....so naturally, this week we packed up for the 2 1/2 hour drive North!


Now, I will admit that the Valkenburg Caves did not provide my favorite nor is it in the running for the best Christmas market we have visited... after all I think we came away with only some beef jerky and a couple of Christmas decorations...the experience was one that I will not soon forget.  Wondering through the underground tunnels surrounded by twinkling lights, jolly Santa's, and flying reindeer was nothing short of magical!  I am definitely glad that we braved the drive to enjoy this winter wonderland as a family... And to top it all off now Landon can say he has been to Holland!


Even though it is tough to be away from home this time of year I am reminded of just how lucky I am to live this life!  As we enter this week of magic and joy I am ever so grateful for all those I love and remember to take a little piece of them with me wherever we go! 

We love you all and wish you a very Merry Christmas!! 

2 comments:

Mom Bird said...

Awww...there it is! Must have opened behind the page! Christmas markets would be so much fun! If we get a week off at T-giving next year, might have to swing a couple more days off and come....Love you more!

Anonymous said...

We hope you had a wonderful birthday Amber!!! It looks like you sure did enjoy those Christmas Markets!! What fun... We love you and we wish you a blessed new year!
John and Sherri