A friend is a hand that is always holding yours, no matter how close or far apart you may be. A friend is
someone who is always there and will always, always care. A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.”


Saturday, December 28, 2013

Memories for a lifetime!

It is hard to believe that we are now in the single digit countdown of this three year adventure of a lifetime!  It is hard to describe the emotions that have been flowing through my body for the past few weeks.  Although I am ready to be "home" and much closer to family, it is much harder than I had imagined for me to let go of this journey.  We had so many firsts as a family here in Europe and a little piece of my heart will always be "German"....So in effort to close this chapter on our lives I thought I would start with a little look back. 

The first stop, a review of my very first blog on this page.  Although this was written at a much different time and with a MUCH different outlook on this journey...the feelings I have now are almost exactly the same!
 I can't believe that December is already here. Normally, I could would be more than happy to turn the page on the calendar to see a couple of puppies in Santa hats, or a tree glistening in lights...but this year the feeling is much, much different. This year I feel like a leaf.....you know the last tiny leaf that clings to tree with all its might, hoping that it's fate is different than all the leaves that hung before it. Thinking that maybe if it holds on tight enough it will survive another year and escape the bitterness of the winter floor (Not that I would know anything about leaves falling, considering it has not even gotten cold enough for the leaves to change color here in good ol' Mississippi), but none the less that is the feeling I have. Not because of the changing of the seasons or the dropping of the temperatures, but because of the events that will be transpiring over the next month or so. I am attempting to hold on tight to each and every day and cherish my time here in the "tree" before I am let loose on this unexpected path. (That's right ladies and gentlemen....in less than 2 weeks we will be packing up our things and setting out on this 3 year adventure.  Although, I am taking a huge leap of faith by letting go of the branches, the truth is maybe blowing in the wind is where we are supposed to be. 
 
We have been able to make so many wonderful memories together that will stick with us for a lifetime.  But when I think back on the past three years the things that will stand out the most are.......

Visiting my first castle...I am pretty sure I felt like an actual princess that day!

Watching Landon ride the horses at Oktoberfest.  I have never seen a smile so big in my life!

Walking out onto a crowded bridge to get my first glimpse of Neuschwanstein.

Enjoying a day in Paris with my sisters...who would have thought that would ever happen!!

Trying to cook Easter dinner for 10 in my tiny German oven (the ham ended up on the grill)!

Watching the Eiffel tower light up while cruising the Seine river!

Being passed on the Autobahn by a mini van when you are doing over 85 MPH.

Catching crazy objects thrown from floats at the Fasching parade in Mainz. 

Drinking wine by the 1/2L at the world's largest wine festival in Bad Durkheim.

Turning the corner and being greeted by THE Coliseum in Rome.

Experiencing our first new years (and all the fireworks that go with it) in Germany.

Eating pork steaks straight from the roasting pig 3 years in a row at the Schwein fest!

Watching my husband try and eat the raw meat he ordered because he couldn't read the menu!

Trying my first "real" Italian pizza!!!!

Watching Nate snowboard in the Alpes.

Throwing coins into the Trevi Fountain.

Walking the wooden bridge in Lucerne Switzerland.

Visiting all of the amazing Christmas Markets!

Walking the beach (in the cold rain) in Barcelona...just to say we did!

Celebrating my Dad's birthday by throwing WAY to many authentic German brats on the grill!

Eating dinner like a knight at Cochem castle!

Walking through Anne Franks house in Amsterdam.

Eating Schnitzle mit pommes....and LOVING it.

Watching my new walker toddle along the cobblestones in Vienna because he had to do it himself!

Enjoying German Ice cream and sharing its goodness with all those we love!

Trying Escargot...more than once.

Wearing lederhosen with my loves!


And last but defiantly not least welcoming out precious little Landon into this world!...and having my mom by my side!


We have visited over 10 countries, explored some of the worlds greatest cities, played at some of the worlds largest festivals, tried tons of new foods, and took advantage of any and all opportunities that came our way!
 
Overall I have to say that I am proud of myself!  Proud of stepping out of my comfort zone and embracing this life I have been blessed with.  Proud of the things I have learned both about myself and this wonderful world.  And proud that I was able to share in new adventures with those that I love. 

Now that I have gotten a taste of Europe, you can be sure that we will be back (on vacation of course)!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber, it must be really tough leaving your home of 3 yrs! But, you are on your way HOME and starting yet another journey. I hope on your way to Omaha you have the opportunity to stop by & see g/g as I'm sure all of us here will stop by to see your family! Thank you for keeping me so well informed about life in Germany (LOVE my teacher!) Safe travels. Jan

Mom Bird said...

You have had so many great adventures in Europe & I am so proud of you for taking advantage of all the opportunities you had! You did learn to spread your wings & fly! ...and along the way you got to take some of us along! I never thought I would be visiting Europe either. Treasure your memories! We look forward to having you closer & can't wait to see how your next chapter unfolds!